Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘California’

Searching for updates on the disappearance of Amber Dubois, the Escondido, Ca. teen who was last seen on February 13, 2009, I ran across these articles “Despite split, teen’s family trying to stay focused ” and “ESCONDIDO: Governor offers $40,000 for arrest in Amber Dubois case

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger offered a $40,000 reward Thursday for information leading to the arrest and conviction of anyone responsible for the disappearance of missing Escondido teen Amber Dubois.

With Amber’s family offering $60,000 for the safe return of their daughter and the arrest of anyone responsible for her disappearance, the reward money in the case is now $100,000.

If you have followed the cases of Caylee Anthony and Haleigh Cummings, you may have noticed a familiar name, Michelle Bart. At one time, she was the spokesperson for the Anthony’s and Kid Finders Network. Apparently she is now a public relations specialist hired by Amber’s grandmother, Sheila Welch.


In phone interviews Tuesday, the parents said Welch has taken too much control over the search, hiring a public relations specialist against their wishes along with a private investigator.

“The whole thing is pretty ugly,” McGonigle said, adding that her mother has refused to allow for an accounting of what she estimates is $30,000 raised for the Amber Leeane Dubois Trust, which is controlled by the grandmother.

Welch said she has offered to sit down with Amber’s parents to discuss the trust but said they have refused to meet in person. She noted that her efforts have been driven by a sole purpose: To find her granddaughter.

The family’s split, she said, has not prevented her from moving forward on her own search.

Michelle Bart, the public relations specialist hired by Welch, said it’s unfortunate some of the family’s divisions have become public. She said the split has eaten away at her time, at least. When the parents criticized Escondido police earlier this month, for example, Bart had to explain that her camp still very much supports police efforts.

“I’ve used most of my time in the last two or three months doing damage control,” Bart said. “Amber should be the only priority. It should have nothing to do with fighting over a trust.”

Moe Dubois, Amber’s father, acknowledged there are strong family fractures. At times, the family’s message has been distorted by Welch and Bart, he said.

Related Post: Missing 14-year-old Escondido girl

Read Full Post »

Jaycee Lee Dugard, who was kidnapped in 1991 at the age of 11, turned up at a California police station on Wednesday. She walked into a Northern California police station with Phillip Garrido after a campus police officer at UC Berkeley believed Garrido might be in violation of his parole after questioning him earlier.

(CNN) — A sex offender admitted to authorities that he abducted an 11-year-old girl who has been missing from South Lake Tahoe, California, since 1991, California corrections officials said Thursday.

On Tuesday, Phillip Garrido, 58, was reported to parole authorities after he was seen with two small children at the University of California at Berkeley, said Scott Kernan, undersecretary for the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

The next day, a parole agent ordered Garrido to appear for questioning and he did so, accompanied by two children and a woman, Kernan told reporters.

During questioning, he admitted to having abducted Dugard in South Lake Tahoe, and said the two children were his, Kernan said.

He and and his wife, Nancy, were taken into custody and held at the Concord, California, jail. An officer at the jail said the two had been booked and were ordered held on $1 million bail, but were no longer there.

Phillip Garrido had been booked on charges of kidnapping, conspiracy and related offenses, the officer said. Nancy Garrido was booked on charges of kidnapping and conspiracy.

Phillip Garrido was paroled from a Nevada state prison June 8, 1988, and served time in federal custody and in Nevada for sexual assault, the corrections department said. The Department of Justice’s Megan’s Law page shows that the arrest involved a charge of forcible rape.



Update 08-29-09:
Many missed chances to catch kidnapping suspect


He served about 10 years of a 50-year federal sentence for kidnapping, and less than a year for a concurrent Nevada sentence of five years to life in prison for sexual assault. He was paroled in 1988, said Nevada Department of Corrections spokeswoman Suzanne Pardee.

A violation of Garrido’s parole conditions sent him back to federal prison from April to August of 1993. Dick Carelli, spokesman for the federal Office of Court Administration, did not know what Garrido did to violate parole.

Monica Adams, 33, whose mother lives on their street, said she knew Phillip Garrido was a sex offender and that he had children living with him. Other neighbors knew, too, but they assumed police were keeping tabs on him.

“He never bothered any one, he kept to himself,” Adams said. “What would we have done? You just watch your own.”

Read Full Post »

A 5-year-old child with cerebral palsy, Hasanni Campbell, has been missing since August 10th.

HAYWARD — The foster father of a missing 5-year-old boy was interviewed for about an hour Friday by Oakland police homicide investigators who brought him to a Hayward auto wrecking yard where he took the boy before the child vanished, authorities said.

Louis Ross agreed to accompany Sgt. Gus Galindo to the Pick Your Part wrecking yard on Winton Avenue, where Ross took Hasanni Campbell and the boy’s 1-year-old sister Monday afternoon, hours before the boy disappeared, said John Burris, a lawyer Ross is consulting.

On Monday night, Ross reported the boy had vanished from outside a shoe store on College Avenue in Oakland where Ross’ fiancee, Jennifer Campbell, was working. Ross said he had briefly left the boy outside while he went around to the front of the store.


Anyone with information is asked to call the Oakland Police Department at 510-238-3641

Update 08-29-08: Missing 5-year-old Fremont boy s foster parents arrested on suspicion of murder

Louis Ross, 38, and Jennifer Campbell, 30, have been arrested and are being held on suspicion of murder, authorities confirmed, all but dashing any hope of finding the boy alive.

“This is a not a missing persons case any more,” Officer Jeff Thomason, Oakland police spokesman, said Friday evening. “This is a homicide investigation, and we are talking to the people responsible.”

Other missing children:

Missing 2 year old in Detroit

Missing Jaliek Rainwalker

Should what happens in Vegas stay in Vegas?

Read Full Post »

The State of California issued the Amber Alert on Saturday (08-01) after the girl was abducted late Friday (07-31) in Whittier. The suspect is considered to be armed and dangerous.

Cynthia Irene Hernandez a 13 year old Hispanic female, 5 feet 11 inches tall, weighing 240 pounds with brown hair and brown eyes. She was last seen wearing a seen wearing a pink shirt, blue jean skirt, white tennis shoes, and brown prescription glasses.

The suspect is Juan Cuella Hernandez, a 45 year old Hispanic male, 5 feet 8 inches tall, weighing 245 pounds with black hair and brown eyes. He was last seen wearing seen wearing gray slacks and a long sleeve dress shirt.

juan_hernandezca

The suspect vehicle is a black Chevrolet Silverado with a California license plate number 8N84118.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Whittier Police Department at 562-945-8249 or dial 911.

Update:

A day after she disappeared from outside her Whittier home, prompting a massive search, a 13-year-old girl was found unharmed Saturday night in the company of an uncle who allegedly had abducted her, police said.

Officers found Cynthia Irene Hernandez in the San Dimas area about 9:30 p.m. and took the uncle, Juan Cuella Hernandez, into custody, said Whittier Police Lt. Bill Webster. “She’s fine,” he said.

Police said Hernandez, 45, of Whittier, will face charges of child abduction and probation violations, for which he had outstanding warrants.

Read Full Post »

An AMBER Alert was issued in Novato, California for a one -year-old child who was later found unharmed around midnight Sunday. The suspect, James Mitchell is in custody.

 

NOVATO, Calif. (KCBS) — Novato police have issued a statewide Amber alert for a murder suspect who is believed to have kidnapped a one-year-old child.

The incident began just before 7 Sunday night when suspect James Raphael Mitchell, 27, allegedly attacked the mother of the baby girl with a baseball bat, killing the woman, according to police. He then took off with the child, identified as Samantha Mitchell, in a 2007 light gold or tan Honda Civic, officials said. The vehicle license number is CA/5XAT527.

James Mitchell is described as a white male, 6-foot-2, 220 pounds, bald head, unshaven with a muscular build. He was said to be wearing a white t-shirt and dark colored pants.

The child is a year old with black hair and blue eyes. She was wearing a pink outfit.

Mitchell is reportedly armed and has threatened to kill any law enforcement officer he comes into contact with, according to Novato police.

 

Some other children whom remain missing and are victims of family abductions involving attacks or murders.

 Danielle Jimenez

 Edwin Sanches Gonzalez

Jessica Vargas Biatriz

 

Related Posts:

Victims of violent abductions

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 33 other followers